You’re here, which means you know there’s a better way.
You are, or most certainly used to be a high achieving woman, making great progress in your career. You’re also a mother and now you want to live and work more flexibly. It can feel like these two realities are in constant conflict with each other.
But you know, they don’t have to be.
I’m Sarah Buchanan-Smith, founder of the Kitchen Table Consultant, and I’d love to help you get your own business up and running so you can live life on your own terms. That means more time for your family and more satisfaction than you ever had toiling away under harsh office strip lights.
I’ll let you in on a big secret: your skills are broader than you realise. It’s time to shed any professional labels that are no longer serving you, and set up a business that gives you the satisfaction, freedom and importantly, income you deserve.
I work with clients through my half day intensives and three month one-on-one mentoring programmes where I take you by the hand and guide you through the process of setting up your own consultancy business.
Whatever programme you choose, I’ll give you:
- Practical, structured support: I’ve set up my own consultancy and whilst it’s successful today, I learnt the hard way. I share my experience with you to help you avoid mistakes that cost time and money. I’m also a management consultant and a qualified accountant, which means we will set you up with a world class business plan, bolstered with the financial know how needed to make sure your business is a success. I’m organised, strategic and practical, with a proven track record.
- Emotional support: Becoming a Mum, setting out on a new path, leaving the corporate world behind, whatever has brought you to this point can leave you feeling overwhelmed, panicked and unsure about what your next step needs to be. I’m a trained life coach and master practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), and I have a diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy. We’ll make sure you’re clear about who you are, what you want and how to get it—and work on boosting your confidence so you can make it all happen.
I come from a long line of women who worked incredibly hard and fought bravely for what we have today. My great-great aunt was a suffragette and I would never tell you to give up on your career and dedicate yourself to full-time motherhood (unless you want to!).
On the contrary. I’m all about blazing a new path and helping women redefine the nature of work.
I took the long route here so you don’t have to.
I used to be a management consultant for Blue Chip banking companies including American Express, Morgan Stanley and Barclays Capital. I travelled all over the world, from Taiwan to Tampa at the drop of a hat. I was a fully fledged laptop-toting, Gold-card waving, expense-account-flogging consultant, glued to my mobile.
But, despite the markings of success, I was bloody miserable.
By this time I had three children, aged three and under and as nappies and sleep deprivation were added to the mix, I became stressed and overwhelmed, not doing a good job as a Mum or a Management Consultant so I slunk away from my career and relocated from London to just outside Edinburgh to raise my family.
As the kids got older I realised I was ready to get back to work, but in the middle of a recession, the banking world wasn’t ready for me. After a few recruiters politely laughed me out of their offices, I set out to find a better way. A way that suited me.
A third way.
With a bit of business savvy and creative thinking, I slowly transformed my background in risk management and investment banking into an exciting and remarkably varied consulting career.
Here’s a sample of my recent work:
- Developed a strategy to build a £22m play park to support the development of underprivileged children in North East England
- Found emergency funding to keep a recently launched air ambulance operational
- Developed a funding strategy for a innovative sporting foundation
- Researched and implemented an art strategy for a local hospice
- Helped a rapidly growing FMCG company manage their relationships with private shareholders through communications and strategic events
I did it all from my kitchen table. And so can you.
What my clients say...
I thought your training was super helpful and was totally worthwhile attending. I will be putting your magic formula into practice with my business and now feel more comfortable about tackling the tricky issue of pricing! Thanks very much for all your help and for such an upbeat session!.
You certainly hit the mark and I would say that your financial analysis is THE single most important exercise for anyone whom is contemplating working for themselves.
thank you for excellent food for thought. You reminded me why I had gone down this route in the first place and what you talked about was very helpful to me in where I’m at presently. This next phase of life brings new opportunities and ways to do things so you have helped me to begin refocusing what I’m doing and why. It has been a call to action and provided me with a framework for the next steps. Thank you!